Visitors / Employees
Residents / Students
University City Holiday Shopping Guide
Are you in need of unique gifts for the holidays? Whether it’s for gamer, foodie, child, or beer lover, University City has great spots for your shopping needs.
Gifts for the Home
- VIX Emporium (5009 Baltimore Avenue) carries loads of unique cards, gifts, jewelry, apparel, and housewares, many with a West Philly flair. Everything for sale was created by independent businesses, artists, and makers from the USA, with a special emphasis on goods from the Philadelphia region. Don’t miss: West Philly t-shirts.
- Hello World (3610 Sansom Street) features chic gifts for everyone on your shopping list. Whether you need home décor, fancy bar supplies, toys for little ones, or fashion-forward jewelry and clothing accessories, Hello World has you covered. Feeling hungry? They usually have sweets to sample as you shop. Don’t miss: elephant organizer.
- New to the neighborhood is an outpost of popular used goods store Jinxed (4521 Baltimore Avenue). Jinxed specializes in vintage merchandise, housewares, and furniture at reasonable prices. Follow their popular Instagram to see the latest acquisitions, or stop in the store to see new arrivals. Don't miss: vintage buttons from old TV shows.
Food & Drink
- Looking for great coffee? Check out one of four Green Line Cafes located in University City. While there, enjoy fresh brewed coffees, hot chocolate, lattes and more, or grab a bag of delicious, fairly traded Equal Exchange coffee to brew at home. Check out artwork by local artists on the walls, or nibble on locally sourced food. Don’t Miss: a cup of San Fernando blend.
- Need a wider selection of locally sourced food and drinks? Look no further than Milk & Honey Market at 4435 Baltimore Avenue. Since 2009, Milk & Honey has offered artisanal goods, coffee, meals and sweet snacks to the neighborhood. Make your own gift baskets for the holidays for the foodie in your life! Don’t miss: hand-selected meats and cheese.
- Choose from over 500 bottles of beer (and recently-added wine!) at Local 44’s Bottle Shop, located at 4333 Spruce Street. The selection of brews is lovingly curated by the staff and bar. Grab favorites for the beer lover on your gift list, or pick up a holiday beer basket. Don’t miss: a wide selection of glassware for every style of beer.
- Whether you’re shopping for a seasoned homebrewer or a novice, Philly Homebrew West at 1314 S 47th Street can help! The Homebrew Outlet features a knowledgeable staff and a wide range of equipment and ingredients to help make delicious brews at home. But they’re more than just beer! The store also has supplies for beekeeping, canning, and making wine, soap, and cheese. Don’t miss: Zayda’s mustard, pickles, and horseradish.
Other Great Gifts
- Shopping for children? Stop by The Nesting House (4501 Baltimore Avenue) for clothes, supplies, and toys for the little ones in your life. The Nesting House also features an active event calendar with music, workshops, and meeting groups for parents. Don’t miss: a wide selection of gently used clothes and accessories.
- Don’t forget gifts for your furry friends! The Baltimore Pet Shoppe (4532 Baltimore) specializes in quality products for pets of all sizes. They offer food, toys, accessories, and grooming services for dogs, cats, birds, fish, and small animals. You can also meet animals up for adoption and possibly find a new addition to your family. Don’t miss: the cats who roam the aisles.
- The two locations of Redcap’s Corner (3850 Lancaster Avenue & 4812 Baltimore Avenue) are perfect for the gamers in your life. The stores feature table top, card, and traditional board games, plus accessories for games like Pokémon, RPGs, and much more. The knowledgeable staff can help you find the perfect gift for family game night or more specialized gaming options. Don’t miss: board game nights at the Lancaster Avenue location.
- University City is a great place for biking, and if you’re in need of bikes or bike accessories, check out Firehouse Bicycles at 701 S. 50th Street, Keswick Cycle at 4040 Locust Street, or Wolf Cycles at 4311 Lancaster Avenue. All three shops offer bike repairs, bikes for sale, and accessories. Don’t miss: a can full of items pulled from tires at Firehouse Bicycles.